There are a plethora of creative ways to divide a room. There are also many room dividers you can DIY to save money while building something completely custom. One simple and convenient way to divide a room is with a folding screen. Here is all of the info you'll need to make your own screen room divider.
This list contains materials for making a folding screen that's approximately 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall. Feel free to adjust measurements as needed.
- 3 pieces of 6mm plywood (16x64)
- 12 pieces of 3/4x2 lumber (6 that are 16 inches long; 6 that are 6 feet long)
- hinges and screws
- paint and paintbrush
- wood varnish
- hammer and nails
- wood glue
How to Build
- Paint the plywood boards on both sides in your choice of color.
- Build the frames out of the lumber pieces by using the 6ft pieces as vertical posts and the 16 inch pieces between them horizontally.
- There will be extra space on one end of the frame. This will be at the bottom of the screen.
- Once the wood glue on the frame is dry, add some more glue to the edges of the plywood board.
- Wedge the plywood board into the frame. Use clamps for extra stability while it dries.
- Repeat these steps 3 times to create 3 panels.
- To connect the panels, lay two of them up on their side to attach a metal hinge.
- Once you add the hinges to connect the two panels, flip them over to add the third.
- Add any additional paint or decoration to your screen and place wherever you want to divide the room.
Now you can enjoy a convenient and mobile folding screen suitable for any room of your home.